Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Greasy Spoons: Lulu's Bakery & Cafe

While we were in San Antonio for Sneaks Up 5, I couldn't resist stopping by Lulu's Bakery & Cafe first. This place in the epitome of a "Greasy Spoon" diner. And if it were any diner that understood the "Texas does it BIG." motto, Lulu's would win 1st place with their huge 3lb Cinnamon roll, Yes I did say 3lbs!!

Now to the chicken fried steak... Your eyes will likely gorge at the size of the chicken-fried steak as you notice other diners receiving their smoking hot dishes. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT make my mistake and look longingly and stir up your appetite before receiving your steak. It looked and smelled so delicious, I couldn't help it. I ate my whole steak. That was an unfortunate decision, as it was larger than my stomach was capable of handling, and I could feel those final pieces shoving its way into my gut. Every bite is delicious, but the afterwards I feel unhealthy, like it washed my stomach of every piece of salad or spinach that might have helped clean it and replaced it with chicken-fried batter.

It was the best experience post-meal. but Would I do it again? Almost definitely.

P.S. Some people have pointed out that the restaurant is old, run down, etc. Yes, it's a greasy spoon southern cafe. The good ones usually are. Did you really expect something different?



Never trust a skinny cook! - Lulu's



3lb Cinnamon Roll!!



No comments:

Post a Comment