Friday, June 4, 2010

Being safe is Risky.

I started Grits when I was tired of working for faceless corporations and mediocre bosses.

My career is fairly typical of most designers: Start with the small design firm then graduate to bigger agencies, and finally one day, I found myself working at a creative job that doesn't provide any creative satisfaction. I realized that I was losing sight of the creative freedom I had when creating my own art. The job was sucking the creativity out of me. I had spent the majority of my 20s working nonstop and I didn't want to spend another twenty doing the same thing.

It began with only a name that reminded me of Houston/Texas/Southern culture, "Grits". The concept was simple, "No Grits No Glory", It's a reminder that if you want to do something you love for living, you will have to put your whole self into it. Hold back and you won't. It's that simple. This is what defines us and gives us a sense of self and what keeps us young. So when it came time for me to establish my own brand I stuck with the idea and this is how Grits came to be.

Constantly, I get asked by people about the difficulty of starting a company in the middle of a recession. While there are many reasons not to take the risk, judging by what is happening in the job world today, Is being safe really worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment