Thursday, August 19, 2010

Beat Street : Sign of the times

Anyone who knows me knows that I love hand painted signs. The older, the rustier, the more decayed or broken down, the better. Honestly, I've never really understood what my fixation with old hand-painted signs is about. Maybe, it's that I see them as reminder of a time where even the simplest of words, phrases or pictures were painted. Or, maybe it's a kind of reverence for people who made their living from this as an art form. Anyway, I love to document them because hand painted signs are very prevalent in my neighborhood and I figure that I need to do it now, before gentrification takes over.









2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love those as well as vintage business signs from way back when. So much more quality back then. Have a look:

    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/01/08/showcase-of-beautiful-vintage-and-retro-signage/

    ReplyDelete