Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Do you Remember "Scary Stories to tell in the Dark?"

Do you Remember a book titled, "Scary Stories to tell in the Dark?" I always wondered who came up with the wonderful idea to make these books. I can see it now; A bunch of publishers sitting around a long table discussing the possibilities of the next big issue to drop next season.


While they sit there pondering, one person stands up and yells, "I got it."


"Let put together a collection of the scariest stories on earth?"


"Who is our market?" another publisher asks.


Then there is quiet over the room ... and he replies, "Really little kids."


Everyone looks on in amazement. "Perfect"


Cue the "Dr. Evil" music.


A couple of weekends ago, I was at my parents' and found some of these books. They reminded me of all the stuff we were scared of as a kid. During this time, there was Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Pet Cemetery and It. They all scared the shit out of me then. Hell, I don't like clowns to this day. Even though I was scared, the excitement and suspense made the experience all worth it. It was like watching a car wreck or starting your own business, curiosity about the mysterious and the unknown keeps us staring. Keeps us on our grind. So, here is a solute to that which created my appetite for all things scary. Thank you, "Scary Stories to tell in the Dark."


No comments:

Post a Comment