Friday, August 20, 2010

Change is gonna come

This week, I got word of two major changes in my world. The first is the closing of the Fat Beats, a world renowed record store. The second is the potential selling of Rice's radio station, 91.7 KTRU.

Now, I will be first to say that I am sorry to hear about the closing of any institiution that serves the people by providing the community with diversity and art. And, if I had a say, I would want both institutions to keep serving our community for a long time to come. But, I dont have a say. Most of us don't, nor do we have any controlling interest in those companies. So, I feel there should be more willingness to embrace change. Is it easy? NO. Change never is, but neither is resistance.

Over the last couple of years, we have gotten plenty of "burning bushes" telling of what's to come, yet we keep fighting it. So, I am proposing that, today, you do something different. Embrace this change with openness, as uneasy as you may feel. And, look at all the untapped resources before you, of which you can take advantage.

Because, while you are being immovable and resistant, the rest of the world is moving on without you.

1 comment: